Schizophrenia is a mental disorder in which the ability of a person to think, acts, express emotions, perceive reality, get disturbed. It leads to hallucinations, delusions, and improper thinking and affects the behavior activity of the person. Schizophrenia is the most chronic disorder among all the other mental illnesses. People having schizophrenia experience difficulty in daily activities, in studying, and also in communication. They might get frightened and lost touch with reality.
Schizophrenia can’t be cured, it is a lifelong disorder. Treatment at an early stage may help to control the disorder and to get symptoms under control.
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder, not a split or multiple personalities. In schizophrenia, a person is unable to differentiate between reality and imagination. This is called psychosis.
Hallucinations and delusions are the most common symptoms of schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia shows a drastic change in the thinking ability, ability to work, differentiate between reality and imagination of people. Delusion and hallucinations are the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia. Some other symptoms are:-
- Social withdrawal
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Temper flares
- Sleeping problem
- Delusions. It is a type of serious mental illness in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. Delusions occur in most people with schizophrenia. For example, a person having delusions will believe that people will hear their thoughts.
- Hallucinations. People start hallucinating, it involves seeing or listening to things that don’t not happening. Listening to voices is the most common hallucination, in this voices comment on the person’s personality.
Disorganized Symptoms of Schizophrenia
- Making improper sentences while communicating.
- Difficulty while walking
- Unable to make decisions
- Memory loss
- Repeated movement
- Difficulty in listening and seeing.
Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia
- Quit from family, friends, and social activities
- Less energy
- Less communication
- Poor hygiene
- Loss of pleasure or interest in life
The exact cause of schizophrenia is unknown but experts said that genetic, brain chemistry, and environmental factors play a key role in causing schizophrenia.
Problems with disbalance in brain chemicals or in neurotransmitters dopamine and glutamate may cause schizophrenia.
- Genetics:- Schizophrenia may pass from generation to generation in genes. It may pass from parent to child.
- Brain chemistry:- Disbalance in brain chemical or neurotransmitter cause schizophrenia. In this condition, brain chemical is not able to regulate which affect thinking and behavior.
- Disable Brain: Injury in the brain leads to damage in the Central nervous system which can also lead to schizophrenia.
- Environment factor: Environmental conditions also alter the activity of the brain. high stress or some viral infection may trigger schizophrenia in people who have genes that make them more likely to get the disorder.
A person has schizophrenia when they show given symptoms for more than 6 months:
- Disorganized behavior
- Negative symptoms
Schizophrenia can’t be completely cured it requires lifelong treatment, even when symptoms have subsided. Treatment with medications and psychosocial therapy will help to control schizophrenia. But if it doesn’t get early treatment then hospitalization may be needed.